Gluten is a protein component that could be extracted from flours and wheat. In baking, it could be used for rising the dough and give it a final desired shape. It is very helpful in food industry and even cosmetics.
However, there are people who are sensitive in the properties of gluten, making them suffer for some health discomforts. It is important that you should know about gluten sensitivity because you might already have it, but not even aware of it.
Signs that You Have Gluten Sensitivity
1) Since this could be consumed from foods you eat, there is a noticeable digestive problem. This would include bloating, diarrhea, and loose bowel movement.
2) You could suffer from headaches or even migraines.
3) The most common is the muscle pain you would be feeling caused by some defects on your connective tissue.
4) There would be sudden changes in your mood like irritations and emotional issues.
5) Fatigue is very common and even doctors could not tell that it would be related to gluten sensitivity. However, at least you know all these just to evaluate yourself and make some decisions.
What You Should Know About Celiac Disease
Actually, the signs listed above about gluten sensitivity are also manifestations of what you call celiac disease. For a deeper understanding, celiac disease is associated with the consumption of gluten and the body react on it drastically.
The target of this disease is your small intestine. When gluten is absorbed, it triggers the immune system and causes inflammation within your stomach area. This is one of the common reasons of abrupt weight loss, which is not so healthy for everyone. Bloating is also expected and diarrhea as what was mentioned.
Since you would be undergoing intense, loose bowel movement, you are prone to dehydration as well as your body could no longer absorb the necessary vitamins and minerals from the food you eat making you to be malnourished. The only thing that could address the celiac disease is to undergo a gluten diet.
How You Should Know That You Are Gluten Sensitive
The sad thing is that it is difficult to tell if you are gluten sensitive because the symptoms are very common. The only way for you to be sure is that you would do an experiment on yourself. You could follow the steps below.
1) Take the gluten challenge that usually takes 10 days. You would be eating gluten rich foods for 10 days and would be asked to write down all the observations you see in your digestive process.
2) If there are significant changes, then try the gluten diet for 30 days. Do not eat any gluten-rich food for a month and then write again all your observations.
3) If there are significant changes again, then certainly you are gluten sensitive. However, if the Step 1 appears that you would not feel anything, then you are good to conclude that you are not prone to celiac disease.
The best way for you to know your overall health condition is to consult a doctor.